Independently performs detailed phases of design engineering work for a project of moderate size and complexity to design and engineer building electrical power distribution, lighting, building life safety, emergency and UPS, security, paging and low voltage voice and data systems to assure safe reliable and energy efficient design. This requires the application of standard design engineering techniques, procedures, and criteria where the scope is already outlined in the form of contract drawings, specifications, one-line drawings and component estimates derived during the Step 1 process. The incumbent must be fully competent in all conventional aspects of design engineering and be capable of planning and conducting tasks requiring independent judgment in the evaluation, selection, and substantial adaptation and modification of standard design engineering techniques, procedures, and criteria.
TYPICAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Develop scope of work documents for the Step 1 process
- Develop design criteria and equipment selection in Step 1 process for preparation of construction documents.
- Develops specifications, working drawings, instructions, and other related documents of a complex project of moderate size.
- Selects the materials, equipment and systems based on constructability and value to conform to company standards and project budget.
- Reviews vendor bids and drawings for major components to be used in the system to assure compliance with specifications, code and requirements of the project.
- Reviews drawings and evaluates the need for design changes and makes appropriate recommendations.
- Consults with construction personnel concerning design constructability as related to field conditions, sequencing, and scheduling of construction activities.
- Ensures that production of drawings, specifications, reports, and analyses meet scope, schedule, cost and quality requirements.
- May plan, schedule, coordinate, and oversee the work of lower-level engineers who assist with particular projects.
- Responsible for keeping current on new electrical products and must be able to judge their suitability for specific uses. Should compile and communicate with said product representatives on a regular basis.
- Communicate appropriate information on project status, scope changes and problem areas to chief electrical engineer.
- Maintain current knowledge of National electrical codes as well as design and construction procedures to meet changing priorities.
- File calculations in a complete and orderly manner for future reference.